Fought in wooded terrain along the Chateauguay River south of Montreal, the Battle of Chateauguay was one of the most historic and decisive battles ever fought on Canadian soil. Here, in 1813, an outnumbered force of mostly French-speaking militia turned back an invading American army led by General Wade Hampton. Under command of Lieutenant Colonel Charles de Salaberry, a veteran British officer, the militiamen chopped down trees to block roads and slow Hampton’s progress. Using felled trees as breastworks, the Canadians held firm for three days until the Americans eventually tired of battle and retreated back toward their base at Plattsburgh. The Chateauguay Battlefield National Historic Site is located along the Chemin de la Rivière Châteauguay southwest of Howick.